Sunday, October 09, 2005

YAKU - Yet Another Knitting Update

Things are just plugging along. So far I've resisted the temptation to start something new - like another washcloth. I've had a craving for a quick turnaround project, but also had the presence of mind to remember that LaLa's second sock should be a quick turnaround project, especially if I wrote down the dimentions and row counts of the first sock, which I wrote down all of the numbers up through the rows of the heel flap and the number of stitches to pick up for the gusset. The length of the foot, I can figure by side-by-side comparison. Lucky thing because I lost the directions just after picking up the heel stitches for the gusset.

I'd like to find a (free) pattern for a flower-shaped face cloth. Like this one. I came across this fancy star shaped one on the knitlist. I'm finding that I'm quite the consumer of the public domain/freeware pattern. Not that I have anything against selling patterns. I'm just cheap. The wealth of patterns out there is pretty amazing. The "ruffles" scarf is a good example. I first saw it in blogland as a product of the ubiquitous Scarf Style book. More recently, I've seen a clone (to use a PC term) on KnitPicks, called the Potato Chip scarf. The Crystal Palace Fizz-Dust Cork Screw Scarf is very similar looking.

I'd also like to pick up some shoes specifically that fit my handknit socks. The only ones that fit are my clunky white sneakers, and with red socks, even in a casual office, this is not the look I'm trying to achieve. I've also been seeing pictures around of people who have cool mules/slides/clogs to wear with there socks. Major Knitter has some. And someone else had Birkenstock Mary Janes. Since this is Florida, maybe some Birkenstock sandals or clogs would be appropriate. I'm seeing a lunch hour at Ross in my near future.

La and I both have sore throats and stuffy heads. She doesn't have school tomorrow, so I'm staying home with her. I'm feeling addled, and I'm not sure if it's the cold or the medicine (or both). There's some stuff that I'm worrying about with my MIL. She has AD and lives with us. I'm not sure if she's sick or if it's time to adjust her meds again. She's been a little more aggitated than usual. She does have a cough and thyroid meds are being adjusted, so there are a lot of variables. She's got doctor's appointments this week, so hopefully things will be resolved soon. Yesterday afternoon she put on her turtleneck, got her photo albums and was ready to leave - when the monkey caught her making a break for it. This is not her normal behavior. Today she took it upon herself to rinse dirty dishes and put them in with the clean ones, which she hasn't done in a while. I'm just not sure what's going on there. The popcorn frenzy will ensue soon too - order forms are due at the troop meeting on Monday. Then I need to do the math and figure out the rest of our order and if we need to return some popcorn.

No comments: