Thursday, August 24, 2006

You wanna see what I made?

Cause there's some FO to report. Sewing and knitting.

Well, I do use the term "finished" loosely.

Knitting first?

1. A small sideways-knit garter stitch scarf. In Berroco Duo from MelissaKnits. I'm kind of on the fence about it, in an "it's not you, it's me" kind of way.

Here's why I'm on the fence about it: It's too long and too narrow. (too long is always a risk with my spotty gauge check) and too narrow is also my own fault. Turns out Melissa gave me 4 balls of this yarn. But two were on top and two were buried. So I only used two. It could have used a couple more rows. And I knit for as long as I could and then cast off, and ran out of yarn mid-cast off (that's the dark line down the left edge). And the effect is a little too "homemade" for my taste. I'm working on finding the gumption to fix it, although, I'm also considering leaving it as it is and putting it in my Dulaan pile for '07 and making a coordinating hat from the rest of the yarn.

2. The scarf for my mom. I'm pretty happy with this and am planning to finish it with multi-color fringe and make a coordinating hat. Maybe with reverse stockinette stripes in the scarf stripe color? Or is that too young looking for someone born in the first year of the baby boom?


So, this one is a sideways-knit garter stitch scarf in various colors of cascade 200 superwash.

Here's how the Cherry Tree Hill (potluck, water) sock is coming:

The colors on this are pretty close to real life. I'm thinking about sending my sister both pairs of socks - this and the Lorna's Laces Icehouse. These are just to soft and squishy not to love. Frankly, this yarn feels a lot like that cotton/elastic yarn - Cascade Fixation or that one from Elann. Pretty impressive for wool.

The socks for DH are coming along. I'm almost to the heel of the second sock.

I've got three stockinette in the round projects on the needles right now - two socks and a felted tote.

I wound up this yarn (Cherry Tree Hill Supersock, Potluck Brights) last night to attempt the Evelyn Clark Shetland Triangle from Wrap Style. I've seen some more pictures of it recently on the net and it renewed my lust. I'm not sure how the yarn will work for the pattern, but worst case, it's learning yarn. I'm not sure what my stick-to-it-ivness quotient on this project will be, so I don't want to go out and buy scads of a silk blend or something else fancy and wonderful and not make anything with it (like my Clapotis yarn to cite just one example).


OK. Now for the sewing:

1. I made myself the purse I was thinking about for weeks now and I really like it.


The outside is a Martha Stewart dishtowel. The inside is Waverly fabric that I found for 80 CENTS a yard. The handles are some ribbon from J. Caroline Creative and the button is from Joann's. I got the idea from Zhinka Dinka Doo It's mostly like SuperEggplant's tote bag tutorial. I added some inside pockets and a button closure as found here.

One of my favorite parts of the bag is the inside pockets. The selvedge of the lining material had words on it, and I kept it. I thought it was both funny and made the edge of the pockets easy to find.


The other thing that I put together, that wasn't quite as successful was a tote bag made from Martha Stewart placemats. I found them on sale for $2.50 each. I added a tube of natural canvas (or duck, not sure which) for the sides and bottom. I think there must be a better way to put it together. I got the corners really wonky on this. I think I'm going to "unsew" it and do it over. It's a nice size bag for bringing odds and ends to the office on a Monday morning.



I also sewed together the four sqares of fabric for my nephew's quilt. Next: ironing and figuring out the border and back.


We went to Boca Bargoons last weekend and on impulse picked up some material for curtains for LaLa's room. (Her pick. She's been on a Hot Air Baloon kick, wondering why we can't get one. And it goes with her cloud-painted aviation themed room. Amelia. Go figure. Anyways. Serendipity.) I still need to figure out the top of the curtains - I'm thinking about tabs in that natural colored cotton duck/canvas or using those rings with the clips. We picked up a rod (right now she has verticals. We're slowly working all of the verticals out of our house. I think we've got two more sliding glass doors to take care of after La's room.)


Also, the Monkey requested a "library bag". The fabric we agreed on was solid red and solid yellow. Not sure if there's going to be an edge of the inside fabric sticking out or what the handles will be made from, but we'll see.

No comments: