Monday, August 01, 2005

I finished it!

The garter stitch baby blanket is done! Just need to weave in some ends. It really did take 3 1/2 skeins each of the green and cream cascade 220 superwash. I'll have some after photos at some point - they're on DH's camera.

So what do you do when you finish one project? You start two more!

I started something else with my super-gorgeous purple wool/silk. Turns out it wants to be a seed stitch scarf. The wool/silk is very round and non-fuzzy. Sort of like embroidery floss, only thicker and stretchier. In fact, I think you could unravel it like embroidery floss. It took me several rows to realize that when you cast on an odd number of stitches and do k1p1 across each row, that means seed stitch. I was at the Boy Scout meeting and I was winging it. I tried making it into a drop stitch scarf, but my drop was too droppy, and I lost a real stitch, not a yarn over. Previous to tonight, it started life as Tie One On from Knitty, but it just wasn't knitting up like the pattern seemed to imply that it should. The fabric of it wasn't similar to the way the pattern sounded, and it seemed like I would run out of yarn with a quickness.

I also printed out the pattern for the ubiquitous clapotis, and I'll see what I can do with it. I think once I finish this post, I'll wind up some yarn for it.

I guess I like to have a mix of projects on the needles - something brainless, something challenging, something for me, something for a gift or charity. Once I get Clapotis on the needles, I'll have 3 things for me working (the red socks, clapotis, and a seed stitch scarf)- that never happens in real life for me. We'll see how it goes. After the scarf for me, will be a scarf for DH, and after the clapotis will be a baby blanket for project Linus.

In non-knitting news, everyone survived the first day of middle school. Sounds like there was little educational content, and the boy made it home and let himself into the house OK. I have to admit that I was getting a little panicky at 4:30 when I couldn't get a hold of him, and the bus was supposed to arrive at 4:02.

No comments: