Monday, March 20, 2006

Saturday Adventures & Finished Objects

The FO first: I finished my stripey socks. I was a little worried about them because they seemd a little loose. Ran them through the washer, what the heck, and now they're perfect! Happy Stripey Socks that fit in my shoes. What more can I ask? So good that tonight for my Boy Scout knitting, I cast on for a new pair of socks in Lorna's Laces Pewter in basicially the same pattern - the Retro Anklets from Socks Socks Socks.

The baby blanket situation: 1. I had been working on a navy blue garter stitch baby blanket (you know, the giant dishcloth pattern) for my old neighbor's baby. She's due any time now. And you remember my twisted stitch knitting epiphany? Well, the knitting (and it was all knit all the time) was of the twisted variety, and I finally went back to it and I don't remember how to do my crazy old technique, only my crazy new technique. So I did 4 or 5 rows in the new way, and I think it's going to look like crap. I'm thinking I'm going to have to frog it, and I'm really not looking forward to it. On the plus side, I can get a buttload of hats, mittens, and scarves out of this yarn. Or I can try a top down, in the round toddler sweater.

2. I borrowed a little Vogue Knitting Baby Blankets book from the library and saw one I liked. It was an entrelac blanket, along the lines of Lady Eleanor from Scarf Style and Danica from Knitty. I ripped out the pinwheel blanket I started for my sister (which was also using my former twisted technique) and cast on Lady Eleanor to use as a baby blanket. Only instead of having 7 base triangles, I have 10. I'm about halfway through the first rectangle row. When I was about halfway through the base triangles, I realized that maybe there was a reason for having an odd number of triangles, but I think I'll be able to figure it out. I have to say that this entrelac business is just about as cool as the magic of the heel turn. Unfortunately, it's not Boy Scout knitting, but hopefully will be as soon as I get my repeat-confidence.

3. I don't think I'm going to knit a blanket for my friends who are having a baby in July.

Last Saturday we went to A Day Out with Thomas in Taveres. Which, as it turns out, is not far from Mt. Dora. It was LaLa, me, and my mom, and turned out to be lots of fun. I should have pictures next weekend.

The previous Saturday, we went on a City Bus adventure. Now, Orlando is not known for it's excellent public transportation. But, there is a bus route that runs near LaLa's school. We've been talking about the City Bus and how it's different than the school bus. LaLa has been asking for a chance to ride the bus for a while. We finally went. We drove downtown and parked in the garage across from the "big library", crossed a street or two and hopped the Lymmo - the free downtown shuttle. We took the Lymmo for the full circuit, and then went to the plaza in front of the history museum and sat near the fountain. We thought LaLa would like the fake gators, but she only did in retrospect.

Our Lymmo


Riding the bus

No comments: