Tuesday, September 12, 2006

L is for Linus

I was a kid with a blankey - like Linus. I remember having one that would get holes worn in it (I liked to rub it with my fingers while I sucked my thumb.) And my mom patched it up. Eventually it got worn out and I started another. It wasn't the same, but I broke it in eventually. And I wore that one out too. I still have pieces of it. Have you seen the saga of the blankies on the blue blog? I can so relate to her boys.

When I first started knitting, I came across Project Linus and it clicked with me. My feelings about charity knitting are similar to Norma's, I think. And I was expanding my repetoire from rectangles (e.g. 2x2 rib scarves). To big squares. My first "major" project was a blanket in cream, baby blue, and robin's egg blue, all in seed stitch. I don't think I photographed it. And sent it to Project Linus. When I first thought I'd try quilting (quite a while ago also), I made a pink and yellow log cabin quilt. An empty quilt sandwich - just the front and back, no filling, and no quilting either. It's Florida and it was my first attempt, and I really don't like to read directions. (I have a photograph of this, but I'm not sure where it is.) I also sent this experimental quilt recently.

quilt for Project Linus

I have plans for another, made of leftovers from my nephew's quilt. I'm at 1-boy and 2-girl, so I figure it's time for a boy-quilt.

I came across this blog last week, it made my day. It's not a blanket I made, but that's neither here nor there.

I have a couple more blog entries rolling around in my head and I'll get to them soon, I hope.

No comments: