Tuesday, June 29, 2010

10 For Tuesday - Summer Reading

Next in the Tuesday-10 series is Summer Reading. Frankly, I'm not reading that much these days. But here's what I can scrounge together.

1. City Quilts by Cherri House - got this as a birthday present. It's really nice to look at.

2. Handmade Home by Amanda Soule - got this for Christmas, but have been looking through it now. Interesting ideas.

3. This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett - I listened to this on my iPod (hopefully that counts). Really a delightful listen.

4. Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich - haven't read this yet, but I will.

5. I subscribed to Everyday Food recently. I had been buying it at the checkout. Frequently, there is one or two recipes that turn out to be interesting/delightful.

6. The Girl Mechanic: Classic Games, Crafts, and Toys to Build (Popular Mechanics) - something kind of fun to flip through.

7. Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. I've read it before. Started it about a month ago, but haven't picked it up in a while.

8. I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches that Changed the World by Martin Luther King. This is on the monkey's summer reading list (well, it would be if he were taking AP English, which he probably could, and it looked like it would be more interesting to him than the standard English selection.)

9. Words that Work: It's not what you say, It's what people hear by Frank I Luntz. Another AP English required reading selection.

10. One of the MacDonald Hall stories by Gordon Korman. I remember these being fabulous, and I want to see if they hold up.

2 comments:

17th stitch said...

Ooohh.. I've got to go find a copy of "The Girl Mechanic" because that might be right up my alley!

Amy S. in D.C. said...

They're assigning Frank Luntz for AP English??? I think of him as a political hack. Well, I suppose what he does can be considered the study of rhetoric. For extra credit, get a translation of Quintilian and compare. Or Machiavelli.