Friday, September 30, 2011

Our day at Disney's Hollywood Studios

I do not have as many FO's to blog recently, so here is some real life...

Yesterday, the big kids had the day off of school, so I took PTO and we went to Disney's Hollywood Studios.  Nothing says Rash Hashanah like a day at the parks.  [I know, it really doesn't.  I'm being flip.]

It turned out to be a great day at the park.  All five of us went, and we all got to do things we enjoyed.  For this trip I did not make lunch reservations anywhere.  I have come to believe in the power of a sit down lunch - it is OK to take a good chunk of time out of the hottest part of the day, sit in the air conditioning and not have to worry about how to carry two trays with a couple of kids in your blindspot to find a table that is clean and has enough seats.  The park is small enough and there are a few counter service places that have some good choices.  All we had to worry about was getting to lunch before melting down.

Here are some highlights of the day:
First thing DH went to get fast passes for Toy Story Midway Mania, the kids and I picked up maps and headed over to Star Tours.  El was still too short.  She can't wait to be 40" tall.  We got a baby swap pass and DH and the big kids rode Star Tours.  El and I ended up at Muppets (my favorite thing at the park.)

Turns out that DH forgot his phone at home.  What did we ever do before cell phones?  How did we ever set up a rendez-vous?  I texted the monkey.  We met up again and went to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

This attaction is a 16 minute version of the 83 minute movie.  Also, the monkey's high school theater group recently did the play.  The attraction features a mix of movie clips, live action (people), lasers, and puppets.  The eight year old La thought it was strange.  She liked the high school production better and the lasers were the best part.  It reminded me of Mickey's Philharmagic, but not as good.

We hit the ABC commissary for lunch, then split up again.  DH and El went to the Disney Junior Live on Stage.  La and the Monkey and I went to get fast passes to the Rockin Roller Coaster, stopped to see the bust of Art Carney,
 Art and Josh
and ride Star Tours with the baby swap pass. 
Star Tours 3d Glasses
After that, I found out that the Monkey's phone died.  We waited for quite a while for the other two to get back from the Disney Junior show - turns out they missed the first one and hung around to see the second one.  And the whole time we were waiting I was sure that they had finished first and went on to do a second fun thing. 
My Little Ewok

We managed to hit the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.  It was good - I hadn't seen it since I was in college and none of the others had seen it before.  It is still good.

Great Movie RideWe all went on the Great Movie Ride.  La and I went on that a few years ago.  It's weird.  It was a little scary for El, but, just scary enough, I guess.  Later she reported that it was her favorite thing.  Then it was time for frozen lemonades and for DH and the big kids to ride the coaster.  They all had fun.  El was disappointed that she didn't get a lemonade (she picked out a coke so she didn't get a lemonade), but we waited for them. 

Finally, it was time for the fast passes to the Toy Story Midway Mania.  We hadn't been on this in a while.  It was really fun.  El and DH were a team, against me.  El beat me.  La and the Monkey rode together.  Our last attraction was One Man's Dream, which I hadn't seen since I was young, when it was at the Magic Kingdom.  El put in the request to go to it.  And fell asleep halfway through the movie.  We should have gone during the Rockin Roller Coaster when she really needed a nap!

We put El back in the stroller to snooze and did a little shopping on the way out.  The trouble with falling asleep before being buckled into her carseat is having to carry thirty pounds of love on the tram and out to the car.  Also, the tram (or monorail as she calls it) is her favorite ride.  I was sorry she slept through it.  We stopped at Steak N Shake for some restorative cheeseburgers and milkshakes and headed home to get cleaned up for bed. 

No comments: