Friday, April 20, 2012

Sheltand Triangle

Wrap Style by Pam Allen and Ann Budd was published in 2005.  At the time, it took "the blogosphere" by storm.  There was a knit along blog for projects from Wrap Style and its sister book Scarf Style, where you could see everyone's lovely projects.  Both books were composed of several projects from a bunch of well known contributors.  They both have a wide variety of patterns, each having a good photograph, diagrams, charts, and enough instructions.  There's a glossary and a design notebook that provides further detail, insight, and ideas.  Both books were, like, the bees-knees at the time.

It was during this time that I started thinking about the Shetland Triangle Lace Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark.  Each finished object photo was lovelier than the last.  Every time, it was billed as a straightforward lace project. In the fall of 2006, I ordered three skeins of K1C2 Ambrosia and then lost my book.  A blog-friend let me download a PDF of the directions from her.  I found my book at about the same time and started.  I think it took me three times to get the part before the first chart to work right.
laceThree tries for this.  Cause I got Skillz.

I got going on it.  Well, sort of.  It was hard work.  I could only work on it after La went to bed because it took a lot of concentration.  And I still would end up with the wrong number of stitches either by the centerline or by the edge.  I would rip back if I had a decent lifeline or I would just fudge it.  I was probably at about 5 repeats in to the pattern when I put it down - I had to get through one repeat of the pattern in a sitting or else.  And each repeat was taking me about an hour.

I spent most of 2007 pregnant.  There was no complicated lace knitting.  I finished El's blanket March 25 and picked this project up.  People in the house are mostly sleeping through the night, I was not working on any large knitting projects.  It seemed like a good time.  So, I knit it from March 25 to April 19 and finished that baby up.  It really went a lot faster.  Funny what 5 years of knitting will do for your skill set.  Might be related to that 10,000 hours or "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" business.

Anyways, I am quite pleased with it.  I showed it to the girls before I washed it and we discussed how it looked like fanny.
100_1470
I re-soaked it this morning and blocked it.  The yarn turned really nice in the bath - blooming quite a bit.
100_1475a

The deets:
Shetland Lace Triangle by Evelyn A Clark, published in Wrap Style.
Nearly three skeins of Knit One Crochet Two Ambrosia (70% baby alpaca, 20% silk, 10% cashmere) in color #729.
Size 6 circular needle.
September 2006-April 2012
8 repeats of the main pattern.  8 rows of the edging chart.  Then follow the last two rows' written directions.
Ravelry Link.
100_1472

No comments: