Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Holiday Cookies

I am not much of a holiday cookie baker.  We had Christmas at my mom's last year and someone was baking something almost every day.  We'll have to do that again this year.

1.  Refrigerator Cookies.  My mom would make red/green or chocolate/plain spiral cookies.  The recipe is in Rambauer.  The icebox cookie recipe is one of those endless variation ones.

2.  Cookie cutter cookies.  I generally use the Betty Crocker mix.  We do not ice them.  Hopefully we remember to put some white, red, or green sugar or sprinkles on them.  Sometimes I forget that part too.  Rambauer has a good recipe for this too -- I'll have to look it up - it has Sandies in the name. 

3.  Peanut butter cookies.  Again.  Rambauer.  My older daughter found out she really likes them last Christmas.  I like them a little on the well done side, just like my mom always made them.

4.  Whoopie Pies.  This is probably not a historical holiday cookie for many.  However, it was my favorite as a kid and the one I always made my mom make for class parties.  Always bringing the New England or Pennsylvania Dutch traditions to South Florida.

5.  Chocolate Chip Cookies.  A timeless classic.  My older daughter is a big fan of a "Cookie Pizza" recipe that she got from a mom in our Girl Scout troop.  It includes both butter and shortening.  That's how you know it's good.  :-D  This is what my daughter picked for her birthday cake for her party this year. 

In the "I'd like to try one day..." category:

6.  Biscotti.  I've bookmarked a few recipes at allrecipes.

7.  Chocolate crinkle cookies that start with a box of brownie mix (recipe usually on the brownie mix box).

8.  Joe Froggers or Gingersnaps. 

9.  Cookies that involve potato chips or other salty snacks.  Like these Late Night Snack Cookies.

10.  White chocolate and cranberry cookies.  At allrecipes.

No comments: