I recently made two (more) Geranium dresses. It is like the sweetest and most versatile dress pattern ever. I may have mentioned that before.
I let El pick out some material (out of the selection on hand) and she picked a pretty wild floral print. She said for the next one she wanted the little flutter sleeve option. I was having trouble imagining a whole dress in the print she picked so, I used some very lightweight denim in my stash for the bodice. It is, however, lined in the print.
One of El's teachers has been giving me 2-3 yard cuts of fabric all year. Her daughter is in high school and she's been uncovering material from when the daughter was El's age (and had similar interests). So far, I've made pajama pants for El and have plans for using some in the next soccer quilt. But the latest fabric said jumper. It is a pin-wale corduroy with a crazy quilt print all over it. Another one of El's teachers had a baby in February. I had been thinking the baby needed a geranium dress and this kind of put me over the edge. I may have made it a little big for the fall so that she can wear a long sleeve onesie underneath it.
I'm really pleased with how the dresses both came out. I am not pleased with how the photos came out. Here is a quick and dirty what-not-to-do with photographing pretty, handmade dresses.
1. Layer the prints. More is better. Especially if the value of the background and foreground are similar. The goal was to show the lining of the bodice. Also, making sure there is no clutter in the frame is good.
2. A busy print on top of a busy print on top of patchwork. For the Win. Trying to showing the scale of the two dresses against each other.
3. This one actually shows what I want it to show and could have been fixed with some cropping. Thanks to the not-wild bodice. I wanted to show the buttons El picked and how they are not the same as each other. It also shows the print with the denim with the shoulder ruffles pretty nicely.
4. Field of flowers on a field of green. Taking a little time to put down a solid colored sheet, blanket or piece of paper would have made this almost work. The scale and perspective is marginal too.
5. Once I did color correction on this, it's not so bad. It shows the voile I used for the lining of the small dress.
6. I took this one to show the buttons, but you can kind of see at least one on the picture before.
7. Scale and perspective is OK. Green (patchwork quilt) and purple (crazy quilt) not so much.
Lesson: Throw the dress in the front hedges just before dusk and you will probably end up with something passable.