Sunday, June 23, 2013

Duct Tape: Light Side. Dark Side. Universe Together.

Some of us have been crafting with Duct Tape recently.

Inspired by Pinterest (I can't find the pin.  Sorry.), El and I made some pens for her daycare - They have a dish for pens by the sign-in book and traditionally, they have had those pens with silk flowers attached with green floral tape.  They change seasonally or when the pens wear out.  Once I got used to them being there, they were good because they didn't seem to walk away as much as plain pens.  El and I cut little rectangles (2 1/2" long?) of duct tape, wrapped them around the end of a regular ball point pen (to make a flag) and then cut "designs" into the edge.  El cut an E into one and made other designs, I went with either fringes or a triangle indent.  Frankly, duct tape is an unforgiving craft medium, even on a project as small in scale as this.


Duct Tape Collection

La watched some YouTube videos of how to make duct tape wallets recently, so she borrowed my husband's exacto knife and my rotary mat and went to town.  She learned how to use the grid on the mat to measure the tape.  She got to the point where she was pretty much doing the project on her own and then had an epiphany on if she did this and this and this and then this happened.... She asked me if she could do it (it's her project.  Why did she ask me?)  My advice was:  What's the worst that can happen?  It doesn't work and you have to start over?  If you're OK with that, then yes.  This is a true thing for pretty much any kind of crafting - if you're OK with it getting bunged up and having to start over, then go for it.

I have no idea if her idea held up or if she had to evolve it a little.  She went to town making wallets for herself, our neighbor, a friend who is also summering at daycare and one of the teachers there.

Duct Tape Wallet for ElDuct Tape Wallet for El

No comments: