Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I started the French Market Bag!

Towards the end of last week, I had a knitting epiphany. I'm not so thrilled with working on either of those two scarves right now. I mean, heck, it's starting to be 80 degrees out pretty regularly, so even by wussy Florida standards, we're starting to be pretty far away from winter weather. It seems like I've been adding stuff to the queue daily - stuff I want to knit for me (French Market Bag, felted ballet slippers, Blaze from Knitty, a raglan cardigan, maybe another French Market Bag, Clapotis). Knitting time is "me" time, and if I'm not thrilled with what I'm knitting, it's drudgery. OK, the scarves are perfect for scarf knitting - the patterns are simple enough that I probably won't make a mistake when I look out the windows, tend to the monkeys or chit-chat with DH. My limited chance for personal time is in the evenings at home. The scarves were just not hitting the spot. So.....I put another project on the needles.

The FMB. The base and handles are in brown, then sides will be orange. I'm using Lamb's Pride Worsted. I'm so wild and crazy that I haven't test-felted a swatch or even checked guage. I'm just winging it. I don't think I'm doing the increases completely right, either. They're mostly good, but every once in a while I'm getting one even side and the rest odd - so I'm either increasing one side on a knit row or I'm forgetting to increase on an increase row. All-in-all, I'm pleased with it so far. It's fun. It's challenging. It's an excuse to buy more needles.

That's right. It's filling up my DPN's and it's only half the size it needs to be before switching to the main color and my circs are too long, I think. 32"? So....I bought some 16 and 24" #7's. Wah-ha-ha-ha. I almost bought yarn for more FMB's (one for my sis and one for my mom) but then I thought I should figure out how much yarn it takes and how well the Lamb's Pride felts. I may buy some wool from KnitPicks though for bags for Mom and the sis......Wah-ha-ha-ha some more!

No comments: