Thursday, September 22, 2005

All that frogging must have been the right thing...

Because I'm feeling a lot better about my current projects, although it's hard to not start a pair of socks for La-la and the baby blanket for the niece/nephew to be. Or finishing the back to that sweater I started this summer, or do the socks for my aunt, or make a one-skein-wonder for La, or even a pair of socks for the monkey or a pair for the DH, the list goes on....C'est la vie.

DH's scarf is a keeper. Right now it's about as long as my fingers, maybe less. It's got a good amount of complexity, and not too much yarn throwing. It's all good. Everyone's pleased with how it's turning out.

I've got about 8" of the laptop case done. It's all crazy and stripey. I'm doing fibonocci stripes cause I'm geeky like that and need a pattern for my randomness. Let me tell you a secret: Random numbers on the computer? Not so random most of the time. If you give it the same seed, many random progams/functions will give you the same series of numbers. So, the fibonacci series is 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,... where the next number is the sum of the two previous.

Look at these fibonacci spirals. They are so pretty! Fibonacci spirals are seen in nature. This article has more info. Notice how the fibonacci spirals look like the center of the sunflower or the butt-side of a pine cone? If you too a cross-section of an apple, I think you'd see a similar shape through the core.

You can see some fibonacci action in the fibonacci cardigan, these socks, and this scarf. It's a very pleasing ratio, I think. Actually, I have a theory about "matching" and this series probably goes with it. My theory about matching colors is, by picking colors that go together in nature, say, brown pants and a pink shirt, you are using the same palette as the Cherry Blossom Festival. How can you go wrong? Similarly, if you are using a proportion that is found in nature, it'll probably also be pleasing to the eye in your knitting.

Next time fractals? Or scarves? Who can say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fibonocci is really cool! In college, the Math dept. had a Prof whose research focused on trying to understand the Series, 1 1 3 5 8 etc

Math and knitting are intertwined, it's really fascinating.