Saturday, September 10, 2005

Baby Socks!

I made a baby sock from Knitpicks Shine in butter (m.c.) and apricot (c.c.) from the Debbie Bliss Baby Knits book. The pattern isn't pictured, it was the socks and hat with a stem in gray with red as the contrast. The socks are so darn cute! They have a turn over cuff, like bobby sox, with just a little edge of the contrast color, and the toe decreases make the toes look adorably elfin. I really liked the feel of the KP Shine. I did get a wonky hole where I picked up stitches around the heel flap, but the turn over cuff hides it, I think. They were looking huge as I knit them, but I think they are smaller than la-la's feet. These are for my neighbor who is expecting. My little sister is expecting too! I think I'm not going to make a pair of these socks for her, although that was the original plan. I think I'm going to look for some garter stitch booties instead. Also, after this update, I'm planning to mosey on over to YarnMarket for some K1C2 Fleece for a baby blanket for that one.

The only other knitting progress is a few rows here and there on DH's scarf. The pattern is fussy, and hard to do anything else while knitting it. Although it's easy to remember, you really have to look at it in order to pick up the right stitch. It's curling a little in the "vertical" direction. Imagine Dilbert's tie. Like that. I'm not so sure about it, but not ready to give up on it yet. I'm looking for a pattern that's manly, but interesting, not ribbed, and a little "artsy". Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet garter stitch would even be OK for it. Only we would call it "running bond", because he's an architect.

In other news:

1. No word from "the monkey's real mom" since last Wednesday's very early morning call. I've been looking for her on various survivor/evacuee lists, and realized that Courtney is a unisex name. I mean, I guess I knew it was, but I didn't know any boy-Courtneys personally.

2. Popcorn season is officially underway. I went and picked up our show-n-sell order today. I may have ordered too much. :^/ La and I got there, we filled up the van, then we had to call DH for reinforcements, making him miss a meeting (he was overbooked to start with.)

Edited to add: We heard from the monkey's "real" mom tonight. She and a whole slew of her family (like 43 of them altogether) are staying with an aunt in Houston. We got a phone number, and it seemed almost back to normal - she called just after I tucked the boy into bed, her usual time. I tell you, I've never been so happy to hear from her. ;^)

No comments: