Monday, September 12, 2005

Inside out!

So, I'm trucking along on the 2nd baby sock. Turned the heel, it's all good. Pick up the stitches along the flap to do the gusset, get about three rows into the gusset, and I see it. It can't be! Everything since the gusset started is all "reverse stockinette". Aka INSIDE OUT! What the heck happened? Did I get to knitting counter-clockwise (or whatever the reverse direction is?) Was I holding the work backwards? I'll tell you that when I start stuff in the round, I generally hold it backwards and knit, then as the piece gets longer, flip it inside out and then hold the working stitch in the front, and continue without much to do. Needless to say, I was stunned to see it. I also have to confess that I was tempted to leave it that way, but then I remembered that it was the SECOND sock, so it needed to match the first one, and even if the baby didn't notice the "undocumented design feature" the mommy would. Poopies.

Since I'm here....went to WalMart yesterday and bought yarn. I bought 3 balls and 1 cone of that cotton stuff Peaches N Cream? Sugar N Cream? and 6 skeins of Caron Simply soft in bright yellow and bright orange for my sister's baby blanket. The K1C2 Fleece would have set me back almost $60, which seemed like a lot to me for a baby blanket. Now, I don't have much problem with buying 1 or 2 skeins of pricey yarn, but 6 or 8? Um. No. I think the orange and yellow will be really pretty held together, and I can use a bigger needle (an 11 or 13 US maybe), so it should go pretty quickly. I also got to thinking that the yellow and orange baby socks would go well with the yellow and orange baby blanket, so I guess both are going to go to the same family.

OK. Looks like it's time to bring the monkey to school. I have Bari Sax duty today (the horn is too big to bring home on the bus, so we need to give him a ride Friday afternoons and Monday mornings).

No comments: