Wednesday, March 29, 2006

You know what is crazy?

I'm having trouble buying yarn! I have really been trying to watch my fiber purchases lately. I've been browsing and browsing on the internets, but I haven't been able to find enough that seems "worth it" to fill up the shopping cart to get free shipping. Here's what's on my list:

  1. Size 13US - 16" circs
  2. Size 13 DPN
  3. Fabulous gormet sock yarn (2 pairs or so)
  4. Wardrobe yarn - yarn that's not specific to a project but is good "shop from the stash" yarn for when a need arises - either a whim or an occasion. For instance, I have some turquoise Cascade 220 Superwash that I just bought because I liked the color and it's a really flexible yarn. I ended up making my mom's Christmas mittens with it and now a matching scarf. IMHO, Brown Sheep (Lamb's pride worsted) and Cascade 220 generally fall into this category.

So far, Kaliedescope Yarns (kyarns.com) has the most potential - they have a nice selection of fancy sock yarns and good prices on the needles. However, it's $100 to get to the free shipping threshhold, so I'm not sure. JimmyBeansWool had the needles I needed and a nice selection of Lorna's laces, but I was really having trouble filling up my cart. Sacrilige, I know. Patternworks and Webs, even less of a match for me. I think I'm going to try Yarn Market and maybe KnitPicks, and if they don't pan out, go back to Kaleidoscope (such an easy word to say, such a difficult word to spell.)

The Lady Eleanor blanket is moving along. It's so pretty. Now I'm hoping it's not too girly. I might give Lady Eleanor a shot when I go back to the wrap for me. It's a fun knit, even in yarn that doesn't change color. The yarn I'm using is light colored and has a sheen and you can see the change in the grain on the different blocks pretty well. The baby will be born by April 14. We'll see if I can get it done by then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another favorite shopping spot of mine is: http://www.LittleKnits.com



Signed,
The Enabler