Thursday, October 26, 2006

Just checking in for the sake of checking in.

Not much fabulous new stuff going on and no pictures either today.

I finished the yellow hat, and it seems to be a grownup size. It's cute.
roll-brim hat

The brown sweater for the monkey is now an Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern. I was having some doubts about gauge and the numbers in Ann Budd's handy book of sweater patterns. (I'm sure it is user-error and the proportions of a lanky 12 year old boy.) But I decided that the beauty of making a sweater for a kid who lives with you is you can actually make a size that fits (pretty radical, I know) even if the kid is a unique size. So, I decided to go with Zimmerman's percentage method and the seamless raglan pattern in knitting without tears. (please forgive the grammer, spelling, and citations. It's been a long day.) I've got the trunk of the sweater done up to the armpits and the first sleeve is 2/3 done. Stockinette in the round on size 10 needles. It's a beautiful thing. I've been truckin' along this week on it. I'm thinking about signing up for Zimmermania.

IMG_5259 sweater for the monkey

The Jaywalkers for my sister have made some progress too. It's slow going, though.
I think I have three inches of foot to go before starting the toe.

IMG_5050 IMG_5232 Jaywalker Progress

Oh, and I started a stockinette sock for myself out of the Claudia's Handpainted Pink and Grey. I've been calling it "pink soot" or "Valentine's slush" in my mind. It's really knitting up pretty - reminds me of my favorite knee socks I had when I was 8 or so. Back when wearing kneesocks pulled up to your knees, sandals, and socks was cool. Not that it was probably ever cool in a high fashion sense, more cool in my own mind because they were fabulous knee socks. (is that an oxymoron?)

Sock Yarn!

I've cut out a bunch of tote bags to sew soon. I may have made some technical glitches there, though. I made two patterns - one where there the lining folds over the top and provides contrast, and another like the first, except that there will be contrast on the bottom too. Sadly, I think I was mixing and matching the pattern pieces, so I'm not sure how tall the totes will be. Luckily everything was made for the same width. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

I'm torn now between doing some work on the coin quilt (piecing) and cutting out some squares for LaLa's quilt. I think the coin because it's a "for my own edification" project.

No comments: