Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wow. Number 384.

I've been sewing and knitting and going to soccer practice and Girl Scout meetings and friend birthday parties and manning the fort while the boys go camping and Boy Scout committee meetings.

Here's the skirt I made for myself. I love it so much! It's made it into my regular rotation, and I bought some more fabric to make myself more skirts. It's kind of a variation of the Heather Ross Weekend Sewing, Yard Sale Wrap Skirt. Except it doesn't wrap.

Yard Sale skirt

Mods: Made 8 panels. Mostly followed directions to join them with French seams. When I got to the end, I added a zipper and sewed up the open side. (With non-French seams). Then I added darts to make the waist fit pretty well. Then extra-wide, double fold bias tape around the waist and hem to cover the raw edges. I tried a snap closure by the zipper, but it didn't work out, so I took it out, ripped back a little of the bias tape and added a button/pony elastic closure, as seen on Angry Chicken. (brilliant.)

It could use pockets, and I wish the zipper situation wasn't such a kludge, but otherwise, works good, lasts a long time.

Here's what else I got out to do: I haven't worked on this in a while. The centers are Kaffee charm squares that I got for Christmas, the solids are from a fat quarter set of Kona Cottons (Pink Chalk Fabrics!). I've got all 32 squares done, I need to iron them and true them up so that they're all about the same size (and squareness). Then the crazy colors will commence! Black sashing would look pretty sharp and tone it all down, but I kind of want to see if I can make it make sense without that.

Kaffee Quilt

No comments: