Sunday, September 23, 2012

Our Girl Scout Investiture

Our troop bridged from Brownies to Juniors last May.  I forgot to do Girl Scout pins then.  It turned out to be fine.  We picked up two new girls this fall and we all had an investiture/re-dedication together on Friday.

I didn't find a pre-existing ceremony online that I wanted to use.  Last year, we did something with the Brownie story (twist me and turn me and show me the elf.  I looked in the water and saw myself.).  One year with the leaders in the service unit, we did the GORP investiture.  That one was nice.  The ones I saw used candles, and I'm just not up for that adventure.

So I made one up.  What I wanted was one that focused less on the 10 parts of the Girl Scout law and more about how we are all a part of something big and something that has been around for a long time.  We also don't hit on the history and legacy very much in our troop and I kind of wanted to make up for that.  I needed for it to be pretty brief (our troop has a low tolerance for big ceremonies) and for everyone to have a speaking part.  I would rather have to hand out speaking parts to adults and/or siblings than to have not enough for the girls.  Once we read through the list, the leaders pinned the pin tabs on the girls.

The facts are all lifted from www.girlscouts.org, the GSUSA site.  If you need to add more lines, I would suggest going through what all of the symbols on the World Association pin stand for.  That's kind of neat.


Leader:  What do your pins mean?  They mean that you are a part of something larger than yourself and larger than your troop.  Here is what they stand for:
Each girl reads one item.
1.  Juliette Gordon Low founded Girl Scouts a hundred years ago, on March 12, 1912.  Before women had the right to vote.
2.  She believed that all girls should be given the opportunity to develop physically, mentally, and spiritually.
3.  I am one of more than 3.2 million Girl Scouts in America.  Right now more than 59 million women have been Girl Scouts.
4.  Our badges may change, but our motto is still "Be Prepared."
5.  Our slogan has been the same since 1912:  "Do a good turn daily"
6.  The mission of Girl Scouts is to Build girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
7.  I hold up three fingers to make the Girl Scout sign.  They stand for the three parts of the Girl Scout promise.
8.  There are 145 countries in the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
9.  There are four Girl Scout world centers.  They are Our Cabana in Mexico,  Our Chalet in Switzerland, Pax Lodge in England, and Sangam in India.
10.  On April 26,2012, President Obama awarded Juliette Gordon Low the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  It is the highest civilian award in the United States.

No comments: