Tuesday, November 06, 2012
I finished this! This was sort of an experiment, just to see what would happen. The plan was: knit til I run out of yarn, then figure out what's next. I think I was looking for a lace pattern for something else and decided to try it.
The cream colored yarn is a fingering weight merino, the green is Rowan Wool Cotton, approximately the same weight. I knit this using a size 7 needle, and the lace pattern is the gull lace from February Baby Sweater. I got the source from the Barbara Walker's 1st treasury of knitting patterns.
This is what I did:
CO 19 [It would make sense to knit a row and then start the rest of it.]
[ws]K2 place marker P7 pm K1 pm P7 pm K2 (there is a two stitch garter edge, the center stitch is a garter stitch)
[rs-1] K2 YO [K1 K2tog YO K1YO SSK K1] K1 [K1 K2tog YO K1 YO SSK K1] YO K2 where the brackets are the repeat.
[ws] K2 purl to center stitch K1 purl to last two, K2 - this is for all WS rows
[rs] K2 YO K1 YO [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] K1 [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] YO K1 YO K2
[rs]K2 K1 YO K1 YO K1 [K1 K2tog YO K1YO SSK K1] K1 [K1 K2tog YO K1 YO SSK K1] K1 YO K1 YO K1 K2
[rs]K2 YO K5 YO [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] K1 [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] YO K5 YO K2
So then start back at [rs-1].
When I didn't have enough cream colored yarn to complete a row, I knit 2 rows with the green and then bound off. I bathed it and blocked it gently and the lace really opened up. Now I just need cold weather. Here it is on Ravelry.