Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stashbusting Scarf for El

I finished El's scarf.  I used the Blue Bell Hill pattern for it, modifying it so that (a) it is narrower for a 6 year old sized neck and (b)did not follow the pattern for exact stripes.

chevron Scarf for El

This "in progress" picture may be the best one I ever get of it - it has been stuffed in to El's backpack, ready for the cold winters of Central Florida.

Here are the deets and random info:

1.  It is knit in Cascade Pacific on size 8 needles.
2.  There are 17 stitches on either side of the center marker.
3.  This was a great stashbuster.  I used up the navy and aqua yarns.  Pink and purple are still around, but not much of either are left.  I was glad when El said it was done - I was thinking that I was going to have to buy another skein of the yarn.
4.  For every stripe you add, that's two more ends to weave in.

scarf ends
5.  It took a good 30 minutes (most of the drive from our house to the Outlets) to get the ends woven in.
6.  If you look at the Ravelry page for the pattern, most of the other scarves are like tasteful and subdued and look an awful lot like the pattern.   Mine was looking pretty craft project-y, but I think there's enough of an organized pattern in the stripes that it looks OK, even though it is pretty colorful.

Next up:  a wool sweater for El.  (When she puts on her last one even though it's kind of small and brags about it being wool, how can I not knit her another one?)

No comments: